Americal Infantry Division, Order of Battle in Vietnam.
Activated 25 September 1967 in Vietnam by combining a number of units already in theater.
11th Infantry Brigade
196th Infantry Brigade
198th Light Infantry Brigade
• Nicky Daniel Bacon, Medal of Honor recipient 26 August 1968 action
• Rocky Bleier, wounded 20 August 1969 recovered to play in the NFL
• Patrick Henry Brady, attached to Americal-Medal of Honor recipient 6 January 1968 action
• Joseph Cresenz, Medal of Honor recipient 20 November 1968 action
• Kern Wayne Dunagan, Medal of Honor recipient 13 May 1969 action
• Charles Kettles, 1967–1970, Medal of Honor recipient 15 May 1967 action
• Gen. Frederick J. Kroesen, Army Vice Chief of Staff and U.S. Army Europe Commander
• Finnis Dawson McCleery, Medal of Honor recipient 14 May 1968 action
• James McCloughan, Medal of Honor recipient 13–15 May 1969 action
• Thomas Joseph McMahon, Medal of Honor recipient 19 March 1969 action
• Robert Charles Murray, Medal of Honor recipient 14 May 1969 action
• Colin Powell, 1968–70, Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff
• Robert Joseph Pruden, Medal of Honor recipient 29 November 1969 action
• H. Norman Schwarzkopf, 1969–70
• Daniel John Shea, Medal of Honor recipient 14 May 1969 action
• Donald Paul Sloat, Medal of Honor recipient 17 January 1970 action
• Lester Raymond Stone, Jr., Medal of Honor recipient 3 March 1969 action
• James Allen Taylor, Medal of Honor recipient 9 November 1967 action
• Hugh Thompson Jr., awarded Soldiers Medal (30 years later) for his role in stopping the My Lai massacre.
• David Francis Winder, Medal of Honor recipient 13 May 1970 action
MG Samuel W. Koster (October 1967 – June 1968)
MG Charles M. Gettys (June 1968 – June 1969)
MG Lloyd B. Ramsey (June 1969 – March 1970)
MG Albert E. Milloy (March–November 1970)
MG James L. Baldwin (November 1970 – July 1971)
MG Frederick J. Kroesen (July–November 1971)
There are 15 soldiers of the 23rd Infantry Division Vietnam still listed as missing in action.
|Staff Sergeant Harry B. Coen 1st Infantry Regiment 05/12/1968|
|Staff Sergeant Andrew J. Craven 1st Infantry Regiment 05/12/1968|
|Chief Warrant Officer Second Class Dennis K. Eads 8th Cavalry Regiment 04/23/1970|
|Private First Class Robert W. Gumbert 21st Infantry Regiment 06/22/1970|
|Sergeant Juan M. Jimenez 1st Infantry Regiment 05/12/1968|
|Corporal David E. Lovegren 20th Infantry Regiment 03/01/1969|
|Corporal Richard J. Rossano 1st Brigade 03/25/1971|
|Corporal Richard E. Sands 46th Infantry Regiment 05/12/1968|
|Staff Sergeant Joseph L. Simpson 1st Infantry Regiment 05/12/1968|
|Staff Sergeant Donald L. Sparks 21st Infantry Regiment 06/17/1969|
|Staff Sergeant John C. Stuller 1st Infantry Regiment 05/12/1968|
|Specialist 4 Clifford D. Van Artsdalen 20th Infantry Regiment 05/09/1968|
|Corporal Imlay S. Widdison 1st Infantry Regiment 05/12/1968|
|Staff Sergeant Danny L. Widner 1st Infantry Regiment 05/12/1968|
|Staff Sergeant Roy C. Williams 1st Infantry Regiment 05/12/1968|
There are 3 soldiers of the 23rd Infantry Division Vietnam that have been identified and recovered.
|Staff Sergeant Maurice H. Moore 1st Infantry Regiment Missing: 05/12/1968, Recovered: 10/30/2006|
|Captain Frederick J. Ransbottom 1st Infantry Regiment Missing: 05/12/1968, Recovered: 6/19/2006|
|Staff Sergeant William E. Skivington 1st Infantry Regiment Missing: 05/12/1968, Recovered: 6/19/2006|
Do you have items such as papers, photos, uniforms, gear, guns, weapons and other artifacts? Read more and Support Us.
If you have any data on units and those who served we would be interested in adding it to our digital project-library; please Contact Us
One way we promote public education of military history is through our exhibits. View some pictures of recent Exhibits.
Copyright, 2021, Sons Of Liberty Museum, Inc.,
All Rights Reserved